Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Companies I've lost all respect for

Top of my list is Verizon - for obvious reasons.

Then we have Google for a number of reasons. So, I don't use Google directly - I use Startpage

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Apple - love the hardware, hate the politics.  Their approach to OS upgrades SUCK.  I can live with the " Gee we're changing platforms so you'll need to go buy all new applications - to bad."   What bugs me is when they take a working OS like Snow Leopard, and then turn it into a piece of crap like Lion.  Then finally sort of fix it again with Mountain Lion.    It's very Microsoft.    I don't think I'm going to give up on Apple, it's one of those places where I'm willing to suck it up, because I don't care much for the alternatives.    (specifically phones and tablets)

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the other companies on the PRISM list.   Seeing what the NSA did to Quest (and I'm not talking about what might have been a valid conviction for Insider trading).  Quest had the no-bid contracts - asked for total servalence and when Nacchio said no - they canceled the contracts, essentially punishing QUEST for failing to violate the public trust - the fact the Nacchio sold his stock before the news of the lost contracts came out probably does qualify as insider trading - but then I suspect the government could make a case for every sale of stock owned by a current CEO - and they don't.

I'm unsure how much coercion was being used.  I think they all suck for going along with it, but depending on what they'd already signed, maybe some of them felt they didn't have much choice.    But let me be clear - you do have a choice.  You can either pave the road to Tyranny with your good intentions or you can say NO.

NO by the way is the correct answer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment