Saturday, August 24, 2013

Atheism

I find the concept of atheism kind of odd. 

As near as I can tell, it's based on the idea of Science, and an unwillingness to believe in something you can't prove. You can't prove the existence of God, or gods - so they don't exist.  OK as far as that goes. And yet, almost all science is based on finding things we can't prove, we keep looking until we can - even then we're wrong more often than not.

The atom was suggested back as far as 500 BCE maybe earlier. But we didn't really get close until around 1800 CE. That would be a long time to refuse to believe in something because there's no proof.  Once we had the proof, it turned out to be wrong.  Yep.   The original atom which they proved existed, and hence was something you could now believe in was close but not quite right.   Then we proved that atoms were made of sub atomic particles - the smallest division of matter possible - you know, Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons - Oh, wait, still not right - started believing too soon, looks like there are smaller parts.  Do we have it right now?   maybe maybe not.  

So apparently it's OK to believe in something as long as you call it a theory - which is essentially something you believe but can't prove.  

Man couldn't fly until he flew.  He would never get to the moon until he got to the moon.  So why do some people insist that the Divine is - I think the last term I heard was - Bullshit.    

Now, You'll notice I didn't Talk about "The Bible" or "The Koran" or "The Tanakh" because that's your problem.   I don't follow any of those - doesn't make them wrong, just wrong for me.

The other thing that confuses me about atheists is the vehamence that having to look at, see, or hear other people talk about "God" makes them uncomfortable. - Why?  if you don't believe in God, then it should make you about as uncomfortable as people talking about unicorns.  Who cares?   why make a big deal out of it?

I've considered a lot of theories about why but frankly I'm not happy with any of them, maybe there isn't just one reason.   Maybe it's because they don't believe a Divine being, presence or what ever would  have allowed the world to become the way it is - but that's a personal perception on the part of the atheist - that the way things are is wrong - maybe it's exactly the way it's supposed to be,  maybe the Divine doesn't give a damn, maybe we're too stupid to understand, maybe it's irrelevant.    Maybe they don't like the idea that there's something more ... "more" than them - which seems pretty egotistic.   Anyway - I don't get it.

Agnostic I understand - Don't know, don't really care - I can get behind that - but they rarely throw temper tantrums about the 10 commandments on a building or Christmas lights.   Which is probably why I get them. 

In the end it doesn't matter except there seems to be some evidence that believing in something is better than not

I'm not a Christian, but I love Christmas - I love the feeling, I love the fact that people spend a few days, a week maybe a whole month acting the way the should be acting all year.   I like the lights, I like the songs.   I like Churches, and Synagogs, and Mosques, because it shows the best of what we can be.  I really don't like organized religion but sometimes, they do some pretty nice things (Not enough to make up for the rest but some).   One of the things I don't like about book based religions is the book get's used as a club to beat people over the head with, it's a weapon to show how someone else is wrong.  Not a single book religion is homogenous - they're all fractured with differing interpretations - sometimes those differences can get pretty violent, and heaven forbid - you use a different book than me.   Yikes.

I think it's part of human nature to turn everything into a destructive force.  Makes me wonder how we've survived as long as we have - unless there's some Divine plan I don't know about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment