Monday, January 9, 2017

Hollywood Award Shows

Never again. 

Never.

Never.

Never.


Again.

Well, it seems that the trend started at the Oscars so long ago will continue until no one watches as Hollywood pats themselves on the back for raking in the big bucks and paying themselves millions.  I don't begrudge them the money - they earned it after a fashion.  They create products, and we pay to consume them.  If the products were no good, we wouldn't pay, and they would be poor. Or, more likely, just gone.

But even today they occasionally remember that their job is Entertainment. Sadly they're not paid to remember it occasionally; I think the Ghostbusters remake proved that point. No one liked being lectured to when they were growing up. We didn't much like in school, and we sure as hell don't want to pay for it in the theater where there is always some moron who feels the need to use his cell phone during the movie. Ok, getting off topic... Entertainment should, shock of shocks, be entertaining.  If you're preaching at us, particularly if you're preaching something we don't believe in, we're not going to be entertained.

The only thing entertaining about their self-congratulatory awards shows is learning which movies won - it's a competition thing.  Even if we don't' follow a sport, we like to know who won. Get up, say thanks and go sit down.  If you have a funny anecdote about the filming, fine; feel free to share. But, I don't care nearly enough to sit through hours of self-righteous sermonizing about how I'm a bad person because I don't agree with the celebrity cause du jour. I don't mind jokes but it's rather one sided and dull as hell if they are all at the expense of one person.  

I didn't watch the Golden Globes for just that reason, but it's difficult to miss the aftermath, or the play by play if you're online.  For the next awards ceremony that going to tell me which was the best waste of two hours of my life, I'll be home reading a book.  I'm not going to be online. I'm going to do my damnedest to avoid it all togeather.  I'm already pissed enough at myself for waiting the time to write two posts and a dozen tweets about it.  That's four or five hours of my life that are just gone for no good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment