Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Voting Depression

I generally vote for whom ever I think represents my views the best - usually it's not a (D) or (R).   I rebel against the idea of voting for a Republican just to keep a Democrat out of office, or vice-versa.   So here I am feeling sick to my stomach because I can't in good conscience do something that might lead to Obama getting re-elected.   He and his people are trying to bury the Constitution.   They despise gun owners.  And I believe their policies are going going to destroy our economy.   I will grant that he started off with a next to impossible situation that I believe started with Clinton (Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac) and was made considerably worse by the ill advised war waged by Bush - Oh and the IDIOT tax breaks they passed.   There was that brief moment when we had a surplus (OK Not really - but based on the fantasy accounting used by the government).  We could have used that to pay down the National Debt - you know the same thing they keep telling all of us to do - pay down your debt....


Nope Bush decides to give it back to the rich folk - oh sure the rest of us got a tiny bit too - then he goes and starts a massively expensive war and yep - cuts taxes again.   Now don't get me wrong - I'm not a fan of Taxes.     At the very least taxes give government types the idea that they have money to spend.   They don't - they spent it all a long time ago.   


OK enough history.    So here I am faced with Voting my Conscience (my usual choice assuming there's anyone at all on the ballot that fits that bill) and voting against Obama - it Damn it to Hell - they stuck me with MITT.  None of the four contenders where really worth a damn to begin with.   I really like about 60% of Ron Paul - the rest is.... not good.   Santorum scares me - he's a big government type - no real track record for protecting the Constitution and he believes some people have the right to tell other people what's right and wrong - despite what the courts have said.    Not interested in living in a Theocracy - thanks Rick.   Newt - well, at least I have an idea what to expect from him - more of the SAME.  but I don't think he'd trample our rights as fast as Rick or Mitt.  And I don't think he'd get us into the same problems with our allies that Ron would.


So now - after all the preaching I've done about not voting for a Republican or a Democrat - I'm thinking I'll have to vote for one - and it SUCKS. 


George was right - the two party system is a bad idea.


     I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the state, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party, generally.
     This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.
     The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty.

(George Washingtons Farewell Address)

No comments:

Post a Comment